From:
Andrew Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:25:23 +0000
Hi Dave
Timing the interruption of the  brood  cycle to reduce Varroa.

Two years ago I started to try and trap varroa in drone comb by a german
method, eg. place an empty frame, no foundation or starter strip at the
back or last but one. In my case 16"x10" frames.
I had no trouble getting the bees to draw a perfect frame of drone and
fill it with brood, I have done this three times between mid April and
late May. After May they only draw half way then put honey in it. Each
time I remove a comb I give another empty frame. I have never seen a
single mite in any of these combs, by June last year I had 4 x 25liter
buckets of uncapped drone comb to burn.(I don't keep chickens). There is
a small amount of natualy converted drone comb in the hive.
Both my Seasonal bee inspector and a retired freind who was apiarist at
Rothhampstead for twenty + years said they had never seen anything like
it! I am comming to the conclusion it must be a timing thing, but so far
I have no solution.
Just to confound all of this, a freind caught a swarm but was a frame of
foundation short so I gave him a drawn drone comb and placed it one
space in from the front, when the drone comb was capped we uncapped it
and surprise it was crawling with mites, three or more to a cell.
Regards Andy