Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:07:40 -0700
Below is a post taken from another beekeeping discussion list.  It's interesting that the content indicates that the post is based on some "maybes" and "possiblys".  Certainly it's good that it has caused the EPA to take further and closer looks at neonics.  But already there is a bias by this camp against any findings by the EPA that don't fall within their expectations.  Are there any other investigations in the area of neonics that is ongoing by facilities that don't have ties with either the government or the pesticide companies?  I'm thinking that no matter the financial base of the investigating groups, if their findings don't coincide with this group's bias that neonics are destructive to honey bees that the investigating group(s)' findings will be discredited.
.
This is a very hot topic now but I'd hate to see something railroaded through just on suppositions and guesses.
.
Deepening
honey bee crisis creates worry over food supply - CBS News
 .

Many blame a class of pesticide called neonicotinoids, or "neonics." Doan
said, "They block the nerve endings of the bee, and so the bee is paralyzed and
then what happens is they starve to death, so you see the bee shaking, and it's
a very horrific way of dying for a bee."

Doan joined a coalition of beekeepers, environmentalists and consumer groups
that recently sued the Environmental Protection Agency for failing to ban these
chemicals. The lawsuit claims the "EPA is well aware of recent studies and
reports illustrating the risks to honey bees...but has refused to take any
regulatory action.".

"We're finding these chemicals in the beehives," Doan said. "We know they're
there. We're finding them in the bees. So we know they're killing bees."
.

The EPA won't comment on pending litigation, but says it's speeding up a
review of neonics, "because of uncertainties about these pesticides and their
potential effects on bees.".

Croplife America is a trade organization representing pesticide companies.
Its president and chief executive officer says current research does not show a
direct cause. Jay Vroom, of CropLife America, said, "There are critics of our
industry that may not be informed by the most complete set of facts or
scientific understanding, and we really think that that's where most of these
challenges are coming from right now.".
.
Mike in LA