From:
RICHARD BARNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:10:27 -0500
Ted,
I have my best results by feeding sugar syrup to the hives that I want to
pull comb.  I usually do this in July when the flow is really low.  By
feeding syrup, I get drawn comb and keep the bee count up in the hives.  I
want to keep the bee count up for the cotton and alfalfa in august/
september/october.  I remove all supers from the colonies and just place one
super of undrawn comb.  Each hive will pull most of a super in a month on
sugar syrup.

If I get sugar-honey in the super, I can either extract for feeding in late
winter or keep the comb in the super and place the super on in late fall for
winter food.  If I use the sugar-honey for winter feed, I have to be careful
that the queen doesn't lay eggs in the super in the early spring before I
can work the hives.

Any other comments from the list?

Richard Barnes
SW Oklahoma, USA