From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:35:34 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lionel Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] feral bees

I did not realize that I was not sending this to BEE-L until I checked to
see whewre it went.

We remove bees from brick and vinyl sided houses without any damage to the
structure. We, a couple of my fellow beeks and myself, do this for a fee.
 Normally it ends up being a losing proposition. We see ourselves doing this
 as a community service to help promote
 knowledge of honey bees, to help people remove what they feel is a problem,
 and keep them from killing the bees. We do several per year in North
 Alabama. We span about 25 mile radius area. Did not do very many in 2006
but
 did several in 2007. Sometimes we have to rent scaffolding to get to the
elevation of the point of egress. This make it more expensive.

We use a screen wire funnel to get the bees out of the structure and have a
 hive just under the screen with brood and some bees inside. We make sure
the
 frame of brood and bees we start with has eggs to capped brood. Therefore
 they will raise a queen for themselves. The bees come out and cannot find a
 way back into the old site. Then they smell the brood in the hive below and
 feel needed and go in to work there. We have an inner cover that is made
 with an opening at the rear and the telescoping top is raised a little to
 give access. Only problem with this procedure is that bees can find the
 smallest access point, therefore we have to return each day until we have
 all openings sealed.

 This operation takes about 6-8 weeks. Sometimes we will have to make 10
 trips to get the holes stopped. We use silicone caulking which the bees
will
 sometimes chew out to make an opening. When we have completed the task, we
 will remove the screen to let the new bees rob the honey from the old
 location. This does not damage the siding and no holes have to be cut and
 repaired.

 P. S.  We like honeybees!!!!

 Lionel
 North ALa.