From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:50:51 +1200
This is a sad one for me personally to be reporting to this list, but
I would like the dissemination of the information to be accurate,
complete and timely.  New Zealand beekeepers have always prided
ourselves on our pest and disease status, our openness and our
honesty.  Though this announcement makes a dent in the first, the
second and third remain.

5:30pm local time Tuesday (about 3 hours ago as I write this...)

Diagnosis of Varroa jacobsoni

This is to advise that today, we have ceased to export live bees
because of an outbreak of Varroa jacobsoni.  Exports will cease until
the extent of this disease is defined.

At least six affected apiaries have been identified so far in the
affected area in South Auckland.  It will be necessary for tracing
activities and movement controls to be imposed before MAF will be in
a position to know how we can certify exports where Varroa freedom is
required.  This is complicated because some of the infested hives
were "dead" which indicates quite a longstanding infestation.

We have identified that certification has been issued and
consignments that are in transit.  We are in the process of notifying
the importing countries concerned.

We expect to be in a position to advise on the future of export
certification within a day or so.

Jim Edwards
National Manager International Trade
Biosecurity Authority
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
P O Box 2526
Wellington

Tel +64 4 474 4138

Fax +64 4 474 4227

  (\      Nick Wallingford
  (/      NZ Beekeeping http://www.beekeeping.co.nz

'Order' files from an autoresponder...
Feeding Sugar to Bees?  Email to: [log in to unmask]