From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:23:02 -0900
Hi Mike,

Here is Jay Smith's "Better Queens" Book on the internet for all to enjoy.
<http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm>
This method I find makes the best queen cells I have ever seen but I really have not seen the amount of queen cells Commercial breeders have seen in other locations. Not very many queen breeders up here yet. I do not use this method in its entirety but use the basic concept of attaching rows of cells to bars and starting the cells in a starter hive similar to how Jay Smith does both. In a full depth Nuc (My polynuc with screened bottom used as a starter hive) http://akbkeepr.blake.prohosting.com/styronuc.htm I place two Illinois shallow frames with a row of cells attached to the bottom of the top bars and a row of cells attached to the bottom of the bottom bars of both frames. These are either new frames with no comb or foundation or a used frame with no comb or foundation. You can probably see the picture and imagine these two frames in the starter hive hanging in the number two and four position with Honey comb with some pollen frames in the number one and five position and a full comb of pollen in the number three position. I do this during our main nectar/honey flow so there is plenty of natural food entering the hive to aid in nurturing these young queens.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA