From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:41:13 -0500
Hello All,
This morning our local news had a piece about a person removing bees from a
building in Miami, Florida.

The piece said 3 million bees were in the wall. I have removed many hives
from walls such as in the piece and I would guess around 25,000 from the
pictures.

The bee remover was shown without protection (like it was some big deal).

My point is that some person with bees in their walls (in areas of AHB )will
see the piece and think. If he can remove those bees without any protection
so can I. We as an industry need to stop telling people in areas of AHB not
to use caution with
all feral swarms and hives.

The horse which was stung to death in LaBelle, Florida had over 500 bees in
its stomach. I left out of my ABJ article as a minor detail of a serious
stinging incident.

Until you see first hand the aggressive behavior of AHB when upset you can
not realize how nasty these gals can be. Around Ocala, Florida (central
Florida and a few miles from the place I was raised) are some of the highest
price horses in the nation. Let a couple of half a million dollar race
horses get stung to death and beekeeping will be in big trouble in Florida.

Our mission as beekeepers (in my opinion) is to inform the public but not
scare the public. Think ahead and choose locations wisely. Keep informing
the public of the value to agriculture of honey bees.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison