From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:14:34 -0600
> that is crazy response for comparing fat and junkie eaters to clean
> sustainable beekeeping with zero usage of dopes and artificial junk feeds.

Like Dee I have always led by example in advocating replacing contaminated
comb in hives. Not too long ago I had all comb new wax. Then I brought in
the hives of Bell Hill honey and brood  from  Hauke Honey /Wisconsin,
California & Texas.

The principal of uncontaminated comb has proven itself with the growing
number of new equipment hives for sale by Bell Apiaries in Florida each
year. Currently advertised as 25,000 available for almonds this spring.
references available from commercial beekeepers which purchased hives in
past
years.

Brand new boxes, freshly drawn brood comb and new queens. Only hives which
will grade top dollar in almonds sent. Reserve early as Bell Apiaries was
sold out in January last season.

I believe replacing comb does not cost but pays. Dee will not use wax other
than her own and last we talked will not use plastic. I use plastic Dadant &
Mann Lake waxed ( could buy unwaxed and wax myself but very little *actual*
beeswax on either from my observation. Sure smells like beeswax on the
foundation. )

My hypothesis on varroa control is control by knocking varroa back as needed
and not attempting to get 100% control.Unlike Dee I think I need to treat
when varroa loads climb or see serious hive loss.

Sad to report ALL my survivor hives in the "leave alone yard" all died of
became "dinks" and dwindled and then died.

I admire the clean wax and no chemicals philosophy but for now I will stay
on
an easier method in my opinion which is clean wax and IPM.

bob