From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:04:32 -0500
On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Dave wrote:

>> I am somewhat surprised at what appears to be a lack of
>> understanding of
> the basic science involved in climate change.
> Well I learned that one of the key factors in science is that
> predictions can be made.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US.  For over 20 years I have
not had a honey crop of any significance.
They barely make enough to over winter with.  This is due to the fact
that the bees have not been able to get
nectar from the three trees that used to provide the main nectar
sources.  That would be the black locust, American holly
and the tulip poplar trees.  In years past I have watched these trees
as they came into bloom and the number of bees
that came to gather the nectar.  It is the exact same trees that used
to be visited by the bees.  This has not been an off
again on again thing.  No nectar from these trees for over 20 years.
These trees have not changed but the weather has.
Just as in the maple syrup industry, the maple trees need freezing at
night and above freezing during the day to get a sap rise.
Myself and others have watched this over the years.
Please do not placate me on this issue.  I have heard most all that
can be said about why there are no bees on these trees.
Not only are there no bees but there are also NO other insects.  I
have opened these blossoms and there is no nectar.
I have contacted many knowledgeable sources to no avail.  There is
also little interest from most people; even beekeepers.
Those who have plenty of nectar sources don't care (maybe don't
believe) and those not connected to beekeeping have little interest in
pursuing
the problem.

Billy Bee