From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 03:14:35 -0600
On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Gordon D. Hayes wrote:

> >        Being the new kid on the block, maybe I am missing out on the logic
> >of using a follower board. Why would you want to reduce your hive
>
> I too am kinda the new kid on the block. But I believe the logic behind the
> use of follower boards is thus.
>
> The use of 10 frames in a 10 frame hive box makes it difficult to remove the
> first frame when working a hive. Follower boards are used to make this less
> of a problem. Correct me if I am wrong.

This true and, also, if there is room above (a second brood chamber), the
queen will tend to go up and down rather than out, and the side frames
thus tend to fill with honey, which is not good if you use excluders.
Moreover, the hives get heavy to handle and there is the cost of the
additional frame that contributes little in each brood chamber.

The brood nest will tend to be more vertical in the higher latitudes and
more horizontal in the equatorial regions, so YMMV.  I'm at 52 dgrees N.

> I normally use only nine frames in my hive boxes (brood and supers both). I
> use frame spacers myself. The reason for doing this in the brood boxes is
> supposedly to lessen the possibility of injuring the queen when working in
> the brood box. This may or may not be so. But it is the way I was taught. I
> might add that I use 10 frames of foundation when starting a new hive.
> Again, the way I was taught. :)

Wise.  I even use one frame less, because I use a frame feeder all year in
each and every brood box.

> The use of 9 frames in the supers makes more sense. The bees draw the comb
> out fuller and it is easier to uncap the comb for extraction.

I use eight frames to standard super, spaced by metal spacers.

> It's like a fellow beekeeper told me, "There are as many ways to keep bees
> as there are beekeepers."

More :)

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka