From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:50:47 -0500
Admittedly being something of a Luddite myself (seems to prevail among beeks) I would caution against judging the potential of AI by any works written 7 years ago let alone 75. Steam engines are an interesting curiosity but will surely never do any useful work. Just because a couple of bicycle mechanics got off the ground momentarily it can only amount to an entertainment. This digital calculator is neat but who needs it? I have a slide rule.

We put great stock in the abilities of (some) human brains, but they are only a complex bio-mechanical apparatus that we don't yet fully understand. Carl Sagan said that we are star dust trying to understand the universe. Given what computers have achieved in the last 50 years I would hesitate to predict their limits. Those in greatest peril from AI are the ones that make a living typing words. Once intelligence is no longer restricted to human or other we will look back to these early days with the sane nostalgia and humor we now do for other technologies.

Now when AI can get up at 3am and move a load of bees to a muddy out- yard while I sit cozy pontificating before my computer, I'll be all in.

Paul