From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:04:01 -0500
Hello All,
I was amazed at the number of emails from people wondering what I was
talking about so will explain further.

The July issue of ABJ has an article by Bob Krauter (editor of Capital Press
Agriculture weekly) dated May 19 ,2006. A decent article on the subject. His
main source of beekeeper information comes from Dave Bradshaw (California
Beekeeper). I also spoke with Dave Bradshaw  but a busy time for Dave. Dave
was talking to me while installing queens! Dave has refused to move his 4000
hives back two miles from Paramount Citrus Clementine Mandarin orange
groves. Paramount citrus has also threatened to sue the orange grove owner
which owns the land Bradshaw keeps his bees on. When we last spoke Bradshaw
has refused to move his bees and the land owner has not bowed to pressure
form Paramount to make Bradshaw move his bees, However the orange
pollination is over for this year.
Beekeeper estimates are around 300,000 hives are effected by Paramount
demands and beekeeper losses could run over a million dollars.
I have made a few phone calls to California and will no doubt make many
others. If the list knows of a beekeeper involved please send me his contact
information and I will contact the beekeeper. Around eighteen commercial
beekeepers are involved right now I have been told but countless small
beekeepers could also be effected.

I think the Capital Press article is a fair assessment of the situation.

*Off the record* I have been told by a couple beekeepers Paramount has
dropped the hard line it took in March and has helped a couple beekeepers
find new locations. I have had no verification of the information from
Paramount but have no reason to doubt my sources.
Dave Bradshaw did Paramount Almond pollination last season but said never
again but never is a very long time but he is upset which I can understand.
Both sides have retained lawyers and are discussing a legal battle.
The problem lies in my opinion with the Mandarin growers as they planted
*new* varieties which were supposed to be seedless even when bees were
present (like the old varieties) but WERE NOT!  The situation of seeded
Mandarin orange has became worse each year over about the last five years.
Netting is the answer but the mandarin growers say a $10,000 cost per acre
would be involved. Grafting a new variety just released is another answer
but
still very costly.
Paramount has so far refused to talk of compensation for beekeeper losses
from not being able to produce orange honey on locations their Grandfathers
used and locations Bradshaw said he has used the last 28 years.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison