From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:03:49 -0400
Jim Fischer writes:  “But did the mite-free bees have the same set of
viruses and infection level as the mite-infested bees?”

 “So something is very wrong here.  Did anyone read any of this
differently?  My brain hurts.”

At the risk of suffering the same malady and inflicting it on others, my
reading is that the experiment measured the CHANGE in virus infection
levels.  So they must have measured the levels of both Varroa infested and
Varroa free colonies before injecting them as well as after, but for the
purposes of showing the DIFFERENCE in the amount of CHANGE in virus levels,
what these comparative levels were at the beginning would not be so
important as long as some viruses were present in both groups at the
beginning, which I think we can assume was the case.

“This implies that the virus is being spread by the immune
system reaction itself, just as has been recently found
to be the case with the measles:”

Could be but couldn’t it also be that viruses are not being attacked as
much in a compromised immune system and therefore are able to reproduce
more rapidly?

“This would make sense, except for the part where the induced
immune reaction over "nothing" directly resulted in a wider-spread
virus.”

Solid conclusions are hard to come to from what is given, but I could see
the possibility that the bacteria may have acted to divert immune system
resources away from the virus front in each group, and in the immune
compromised group this might have more devastating results in terms of
being able to fight off viruses.

Steve Noble