From:
"Gordon D. Hayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 01:29:10 -0400
As I wrote in my previous letter concerning Den. Dan Coats remarks about
honeybee research, I faxed a letter to both my Senators from IN. I am
planning on attending a Town Meeting with our freshman Federal
Representative John Hostettler. I found out that Rep. Hostettler is on the
Agricultural Committee in Washington D.C.

Below is a copy of the letter I sent to Sen. Coats. I hope it is not too
long. If it is I apoligize. I might add that Sen. Coats fax # is
1-202-228-4137. Send him a letter. We have to be vocal on this one or we
could lose our bee research labs.

Gordon D. Hayes
916 N. West St.
Princeton, IN
47670

Hon. Sen. Daniel Coats
101 N. W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN
47708

Hon. Sen. Coats,

It is with deep regret that I read a recent letter to the editor in the
April issue of Bee Culture Magazine. As a beekeeper, I am appalled that you
would make a comment that federal funding of research in regard to honeybees
is a waste of taxpayers money. As a voter, I am appalled that you would make
a comment such as you did about a subject that you yourself know little about.

It is easy to suggest that funding for honeybee research should be cut. We
all "know" that honeybees are dangerous insects that sting people and even
attack people. Some people are even allergic to their sting and become sick.
A few may even die as a result of being stung by the common honeybee.

But far more people die from other less publicized means.

I am sorry that I missed your meeting yesterday (12 April 1995) in
Princeton, IN. I would have cherished the opportunity to inform you of the
problems the United States faces concerning honeybees. But I will take this
opportunity to shed some light on the subject for you.

First of all, I am not a small backyard beekeeper. I have over 300
colonies/hives of honeybees that I rent out to farmers in neighboring Knox
County, IN. I am renting a few colonies in my Gibson County. The primary
crops that I rent my bees to pollinate are watermelon and canteloupe. This
year, I will rent bees to a farmer to pollinate strawberries and
blueberries. To put this in perspective, there are 24 farmers in Gibson
County that raise crops that would benefit from honeybee pollination. This
brings in an annual gross income of somewhere in the neighborhood of
$1,000,000. About 1/5th of the amount you say the Federal Government wasted
in honeybee research last year. There are probably twice that many farmers
in Knox County that raise crops that benefit from honey bee pollination. The
annual value of honeybee pollination in the United States has been estimated
at over $1,000,000,000.

Without crop pollination, many of the vegetables and fruits grown in the
United States would not grow. I think you can understand the ramifications
of this statement.

 Now for the problems that the United States has with honeybees. There are
three major problems facing the beekeeping/pollination industry in America
today. The first two are mites. Tracheal mites (Acarapis woodi Rennie) and
Varroa mites (Varroa jacobsoni Oudmans). Both have caused considerable
losses in both wild hives and managed colonies. Most wild hives in my area
have been totally wiped out. Causing the local growers to depend upon the
beekeeper and his/her managed colonies. At the same time, many beekeepers
have suffered losses in great numbers. A few have lost nearly 100% of their
hives. Presently there is only one approved treatment for Varroa
infestation. And since only one company is licensed to supply this
acaricide, they can charge extremely high prices for the treatment. And
since it is either use the treatment or buy new bees each year, we use the
treatment. The tracheal mite is somewhat easier to control.

The third threat to the beekeeping/pollination business in the United States
is the threat of Africanized Honey Bees, more commonly known as ""Killer
Bees" by the sensationalizing media. They probably won't be a permanent
problem in the state of Indiana. At least for now. Our winters are to cold
for them. But this is something we will not know without research.

So, in closing, I would like to make three suggestions to you. First of all,
when you make a statement about the government wasting taxpayers' dollars;
read up on the subject first. Secondly, don't take away our federal monies
for bee research.  $5,000,000 is a drop in the bucket when talking of the
federal budget. And thirdly, call me and make an appointment to see how
valuable honeybees are to the economy of this great country (or at least my
little part of it).

P.S. I have extra veils to keep the bees out of your face.

Sincerely signed,
Gordon D. Hayes