Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:15:06 -0500
Here is MB CND spring is upon us with temperatures rising well
above freezing.  I'm placing pollen patties on the hives this week.
From the hives that I had randomly spot checked end of Feb,  the hives
looked to be holding though the winter with good hive strength and
lots of honey reserves.  The winter this year has been very mild but I
noticed the humidity in the hives has been high.
A question I would like to post to the experience northern beekeepers
out there is
-what factors do you consider before removing the hive winter wrap?
At this time during the end of March leading into April, the average
temeratures are reaching or exceeding melting.  I was thinking of
removing the wraps when temp rise above 5degrees sometime first
week of April to clean out the dead outs and allow bees to better
house keep thier hive.  Forcasted temperatures and conditions are
very pleasing to my ears and I think spring is going to come in quick.
Should I worry about the late winter storm that could come howling
down on us? Or will the bees handle the short lived cold conditions
just the same as if in their pack?

A small Manitoba beekeeper

Ian