From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 06:54:27 -0500
a gm_charlie@frontier

looking at Randys data we are looking at it wrong and asking the wrong question,  the question should not be whats the decline,  but what was the rise?  even at current lows we are above the "historical heyday" of honey production.   what caused the jump from 50 to 80 is the real question!

>actually both question are appropriate.  Normally in such cases no one reason is 'THE' cause.  Typically there are a host of reason large and small.  At the WWII point in time honey, beeswax and milk were considered ESSENTIAL war materials and therefore a number of policy things were done to increase production. What happens after the fact is an 'investment bubble' that in some way needs to be deflated for that industry to come back into some kind of productive/consumer (supply/demand) balance.  On a larger scale the same 'investment bubble' in agriculture occurred around WWI with consequences that lead into the great depression.  What follows the investment bubble in terms of industry or governmental action is often more than the bubble itself. Some remedies for investment bubbles can appear to be quite radical... but the essential question is do they work or not?

Gene in Central Texas...