From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:12:27 -0500
Dee Lusby:
>As for Eva Crane. Well everyone has their own opinion of the
>paintings and also you must have access to them. Also the pottery
>that is around to look at.

I got the book "North American Indian Rock Art" by Klaus Wellmann
that Eva Crane refers to in her book. There are over 900 photographs
and not one has anything that even looks like a bee (not to the
author, not to me).

The Mayans regarded the stingless bee as sacred and included it in
their art, so other cultures would surely have wanted to draw it,
along with the snakes, lizards, birds, mountain sheep, etc. that they
did draw.

But you can't tell what *species* of animal they were trying to draw
any more than you can from a kid's drawing. I have read most of Eva
Crane's books, they are the best books on bees I have ever seen. I
suggest you read them and forget your theories.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>