From:
Matthew Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 06:49:19 -0700
This question is directed mainly at British beekeepers on this list. It
concerns bees foraging on lime trees (genus Tilia, commonly called
basswood in the US).

I've seen lime trees in Britain around which the ground is carpeted with
dead bees. I was told that the bees essentially drank themselves to death.
The lime nectar was so attractive that they couldn't stop themselves and
either over-gorged on it or over-worked and died of exhaustion in their
old age.

Does anybody have any insights into whether this is correct or is there
another explanation. (Or am I totally wrong and lime doesn't do this to
bees?)

I did ask a similar question of this list some years ago. There is a
thread in the archives but I don't remember getting a conclusive answer.
Maybe there isn't one, but I'd appreciate any information about this. Does
this phenomenon happen with basswood in the US? Should people be concerned
if they plant Tilia?

There are different species of Tilia in Britain and North America, though
I think that the European small-leafed lime (T. cordata) has been planted
in North America as a replacement for basswood (T. americana) in some
areas.

Thanks for any information,
     Matthew

The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
An international nonprofit dedicated to preserving the diversity of life
through the protection of invertebrates and their habitats

Matthew Shepherd
Senior Conservation Associate
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215
Tel: 503-232 6639
Fax: 503-233 6794
www.xerces.org