From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:45:36 -0400
Peter Dillon wrote:
> Questions were raised relating to the difference between summer and
> winter bees.

Hi. Sometime in the past year there was an article in Bee Culture about
some recent research into the physiological differences between summer
bees and winter bees. I know it was in the past year because I've only
been subscribed to the magazine a year and I know it was Bee Culture
because it's the only Bee rag I currently receive. Unfortunately, I've
not been able to find all my back issues but I'll keep looking. In the
meantime, if anyone on this list can find their back issues...

I don't recall the details of the research but the upshot of the article
was that bees destined for overwintering required especially good
nutrition during all stages of their development in order to obtain the
necessary levels of whatever chemical(s) were thought to play a vital
role in their longevity. This is not inconsistent with what Peter just
wrote about.

George-