Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:53:40 -0600
I said:
 > If you plan to put the syrup into a drum anyhow, just fill the drum
 > with as much hot water as you figure you'll need and put a sump
 > pump into it, then add sugar slowly while the pump runs.  If you
 > pre-measure the sugar and water, you'll get the right mix.

Let me add this:

It has been a long time since I used a sump pump in a drum to mix
syrup.  The only limitation may be how thick you can get the syrup and
that may depend on the quality of the  pump in question.  I don't recall
any problems using a cheap upright and I mixed a lot of syrup with it
before I graduated to other methods and then to buying truckloads of
pre-mixed sucrose at a time.

I know a submersible sewage pump can handle thicker material, but if you
start with hot water and don't dump in too much sugar at once, you
should be able to get to the saturation point quite easily.  As I
recall, there will sometimes be some sugar precipitation after the syrup
cools and that can be used to make the next batch.

Tap water is only about 130 degrees so that nobody gets scalded when
turning on a kitchen or bathroom tap.
See
https://www.google.com/search?&q=what%20temperature%20is%20hot%20tap%20water%3F

Boiling point of water is 212F at sea level, so there is lots of room to
make the water hotter for faster mixing and clearer syrup. The easy way
is to get hotter water is to turn up the control on the hot water tank
supplying the water, but warn everyone first, tag the taps, and be sure
to turn it down as soon as you are done.  Overdo it and steam can come
out of the taps, so be careful!

There are also submersible electric water heaters -- basically an
element in an aluminum casting on a wand handle -- that are available at
farm supply stores for heating cattle waterers in winter.

Whatever you do, use a clean, food-approved honey drum and don't heat
the syrup once the sugar is added as there can be catalytic reactions
with the sugar if the drum has flaws. and the water heater would
caramelize the syrup in contact.

If the syrup is too cold for feeding after sitting, use gentle heating
methods -- like taking it indoors.

allen