From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 00:39:05 -0500
James C. Bach wrote:

It is my opinion based upon a multitude of observations, that attractive
queens result in a more productive colony, and two queen systems create
this environment by increasing queen pheromone levels at both ends of the
storage chamber, and also an result in an increase in brood production.

Our bi-directional bee counters indicate that some colonies consistently
lose a percent or two more bees than do their neighbors, and some colonies
tend to gain about the same each day.

Ever wonder why the strong colonies seem to remain strong, even when you
pull brood, and the weak and slow ones never seem to get going, even when
you add brood?  Our electronic systems suggest the the strong get stronger
and the weak get weaker, with the weak drifting to the strong.

Interestingly, this scenario is colony specific, but not place specific.
In other words, we are not simply  looking at classical drift where bees
tend to drift with the wind or to the ends of a row of hives.

For want of a better term, I'm calling this strong hives the "collectors"

Cheers

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
http://www.umt.edu/biology/bees