Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:25:53 -0800
Allen Dick wrote:

> On one hand some people say that it just happens over time and that after
> a while it will kill colonies if nothing is done.  Others say that 'wham'
> it hit us out of nowhere and colonies were dead before we realized it was
> here.
  In fact some of them are better beekeepers and
> get better crops for having varroa keep them on their toes.

Hi Allen and All,
The timing of treatment for Varroa is the real important issue.There are
different methods used to keep the mite count down.You need to be on top
of it before September or you will have weak bees for winter.The
variance of hive behavior comes from more than the mite itself.The
overall condition of the bees in regard to nutrition and stress have a
part to play, in the speed that Varroa will take down a hive.
 When hives drop very fast, in the late fall , you can bet on an
addition of a virus ,that has been vectored by the mite.I have watched
that happen first hand.One should not think for a moment that a little
varroa is ok.During a honey flow , with large populations of bees ,
everything looks fine, even with varroa. Then comes the late fall and
those wonderful hives that produced 200 + pounds of honey for you start
dropping to nothing.
 I have watched a 3 year cycle with varroa in my bees.We can break the
cycle by better attention and swift action on our part.The beekeeper
will control the amount of problems that the mite will cause him or
her.Some of us learn the hard way , I did. I lost 100 out of 180 hives ,
4 years ago.Now, I have to do more and watch my bees with a very open
eye.Maybe Varroa is making us better beekeepers as you stated.

 Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck