From:
Roger Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:50:21 -0600
>I am hoping not to reinvent the wheel and that maybe one of you might have
something you have already put >together that I could adapt...

>I have a local beekeeper who is attempting to renew a permit to place bee
hives on Forest Service land. The >ranger has told him that his permit
cannot be renewed until he has an adequate and approved plan to prevent >the
spread of noxious weeds while in the forest. Does anybody have a written
plan that I might be able to >adapt to help this beekeeper meet that
requirement? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jim

I am going to take a stab at this to get you going in (hopefully) the right
direction but I have not specifically put together a plan for noxious weeds
but I have worked on similar "control plans" for wetlands.
What they are looking for is just a simple outline from you (you being the
beekeeper wanting the permit) as to how you will minimize or prevent
actively impacting the areas you plan to set hives.  They will also help you
to develop your plan so take them a rough draft and see what they say.

Here is a link to a larger full location noxious weed plan which covers more
than you might be required to do but does list some of the things you might
put into your plan.
http://www.weedcenter.org/wpa/gyc_gravel_pit/N%20Weed%20Management%20plan.pd

Things you would need to probably include are things like: how you will
enter and leave the area, not drive through weeds, stay on gravel, visual
inspection of your undercarriage (and hives) for weeds and/or seeds before
entry or maybe wash the undercarriage.  Enter/leave at times that are not
seed baring time for weeds. They want to see that you are aware of the
issues and you are trying your best not to bring noxious weed seeds into the
area.  If you already have been going in (I think you said you had been
permitted in previous years), noting that the target areas already have the
noxious weeds might also simplify the steps they might ask you to do to get
the permit. Locating near the edges of the area might also be looked at more
favorably.  I wouldn't take it any farther than general common sense things
at first and not get into specific species unless they tell you otherwise.

My guess is they don't really know what all they want so as long as you make
a good faith effort they will probably accept it.  Hope this helps get you
started. Good luck.

Roger
Independence, Mo