From:
Jackie McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 22:24:08 -0500
Hello, All.
  As a recent addition to this list (I started participating in Oct.), and
as someone fairly new to both bee research and beekeeping, I would like to
add my voice to the fray.  There has been very little on bee-line that
wasn't immediately understandable posted, and anything that was confusing
has been clarified within one or two responses.  Had I not been told about
this list by a bee researcher, I doubt I would ever have found it, since I
am also new to electronic networks, and had turned up very little of use
through gophers and key word searches.
  I think that the community currently on this list is small enough that
the "traffic" is courteous, helpful, and not too time-consuming.  However,
that may be because there is little knowledge that it is here.  I think the
idea of developing a FAQ is an excellent one, and I would like to see the
FAQ available, along with some reference to beeline, through related
conferences and other forums.  However, I think that the dialogue between
practitioners and researchers is invaluable to both parties, that creating
a separate "hobby only" forum may decrease necessary communication which
maintains the relevance of research and serves the needs of beekeepers.
  Tracking list traffic is very time-consuming; I would much rather have
one list per interest area to follow.  Is anyone interested in simply
making bee-line better known and more accessible through some sort of
generalized postings?  Isn't there already enough factionalization of
knowledge and communication going on?

Jackie