From:
Peter Prodger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:39:25 -0500
My daughter-in-law has worked several stints in south Uganda and brought home a jar of "wild bush honey" It tastes exactly as described in the previous post. Un-eatable. She was not happy with me when I explained it was terrible honey. For her it was the where the honey came from and it's provance that made it such a wonderful gift.

It is packaged by Bio-food Products and a product of project CABESI.

http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/uploads/BfDJ85%20CABESI002.pdf

In the link they describe how they are introducing sustainable methods of beekeeping to assist women who have few opportunities in the local society. This includes bees kept in removable frame hives and doing "extracting". The traditional methods involve burning the bees out and collecting smoky honey that I would only use for making honey smoked ham. Wild bush honey is a product of honey hunters. I believe the wax was as important a crop as the honey to these bee men.

I look at the jar I received as a token of appreciation for a donation to the CABESI organization. It is good marketing same as organic honey or local honey.

I sell local honey. The cachet of being local gets people to make the first purchase. The better flavour of fresh honey keeps them coming back for more. The wild bush honey gets people to think about the goals of the organization that produced it and as such is a worthwhile product, although un-eatable.

Peter