From:
Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2017 17:21:44 -0500
> On Dec 2, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Janet L. Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> FWIW we had a lecture this spring in our provincial Honey Assoc. Education Days, given by Rudi Peters, that focused directly on the interconnected issues of overwintering, insulation, and ventilation requirements.
>
> Scott's Hive and Honey Bee references agree closely with what we heard:
> https://herewebee.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/snow-business/
>
> There appears to be a (poorly documented) interplay between bee metabolic activity levels, temperature swings within the hive, and the type and location of the insulations used. That interplay determines where condensation occurs, and whether it then becomes a problem for the bees and equipment
—-
We all know when hot moist air hits a cold surface condensation occurs. Since I started using foam insulation IN the outer cover and a sugar shim under that (no inner cover) with an entrance I don’t seem to have a problem with moisture (hives are tilted forward slightly). There is a lower entrance also, 3 fingers and closed SBB.  Insulation is on three sides, south side none, just tarpaper.  One or two deeps with at least a medium super of honey. If there is another entrance in any of the hive bodies, usually in front, I keep it open.  Sometimes they propolize them closed.  With the FLIR camera I can see that they are not very tightly clustered (For a last OAX vaporizer this works well) at least the larger colonies, and do tend to eat more.   My locality is cold and can be damp but for my area what I do works well for me.  I also keep the insulation on my Top Bar hive all year, I just remove it from the top of the bars then put it back in late Fall.  Przemek S. is quite a bit southeast of me and his hives sound very different to manage.
Deb C
Western Catskill Mtns, NY