From:
Tom Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:50:05 +0100
Hello All

I am trying to obtain information on the development of resistance to
Apistan/Coumaphos and that is why I sent a message lately to BEE-L. And that
is why I am sending this message to expand on why I am looking for assistance.

In Ireland we are most likely facing eventually the same situation as
American beekeepers currently face, and I am attempting to glean as much
information from our American beekeeping friends as I can.

I know that Coumaphos resistance has been identified in four states in the
USA. What effect has this on

1. Hobby beekeepers
2. Commercial beekeepers

In Ireland apart from one or two beekeepers we are mostly hobbyists. More
than 100 hives in Ireland is a rarity.

And right now we have varroa since 1998 and it is travelling through the
country at a speed that has amazed most beekeepers.

And to add to our woes, mites resistant to Apistan/Bayvarol have now
appeared in the South West of England and will probably appear in Ireland
sooner rather than later.

Any assistance and comments will be most welcome.

Good night from a cold damp Ireland!

Sincerely
Tom Barrett
Dublin