From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2011 07:01:17 -0700

> >I know you  recommend  using according to label directions but if I was to
> use one [MAQS] how many days later could I add the second strip to kill the
> mites that were left in the sealed brood?

Hi Mike,

I'm currently experimenting with single strip treatments in hot (90+F)
weather, hoping to knock back the mites until we can pull the honey (this is
a bottleneck for us here at Comedy of Errors Apiaries).  FWIW, the strips
are much stickier to handle in hot weather, have a much stronger formic
smell, and REALLY require good gloves.

> I guess my question would be when mites emerge, how long before they will

In answer to your question, the mite life cycle under the capping is 12
days.  Emerged mites are phoretic for about 5-7 days before re-entering a
cell.  However, they are mated prior to leaving the cell.

There is still much experimentation to be done with MAQS, as well as with
other application methods for formic acid (such as MiteGone, Amrine flash,
and Chapleau flash).  I am not making any recommendations, simply reporting
on what I have actually tested.

The major advantage of MAQS is that one doesn't need to handle liquid acid
(although in hot weather, liquid leaks from the strips into the plastic
bags).

The mfr is planning on running more tests with single strips, and I am in
communication with him re suggestions for improvement and reports of
problems.  I'm not at liberty to share, but he has allowed me to see yet
unpublished data that confirms how surprisingly tolerant queens are of the
fumes.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA