From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:05:42 -0300
On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Peter Edwards  wrote:

> As to the ban on imports, it is an unfortunate fact that as EU members we
> cannot do this - although some EU countries seem to have managed to set up
> protected areas.  However, there is now a majority of people in the UK who
> would vote today to leave the EU - watch this space...

As a chilean born in the paradigm of a "fitozoosanitary island" (eventough
we are part of a continent,, but separate by the masive Andes Mountains and
the Atacama "driest desert iin the world" and the pacific ocean, not to
mention Antaritca in the south) I fully understand Peter's sentiment, more
if you belong to real Island.

However I feel pity that you have to abandon the EU to protect your
fitozoosanitary better condition. There is a bad design there. I recall
Australia - the Continent size Island - and its differences and barriers
between the East and West.

Therefore is not a matter of to trade or not to trade (internationally) but
to set certain limits in terms of fitozoosanitary protection: only from the
healthier to the less healthier and inspections programs at ports and
entries.

More than that is something that in principle I do not like and are part of
tarrif barriers that do not good to humanity in general. They might serve
for a certain time as an economic incentive programm but for sure are a
lost in the long term if you can get that good from some where else at a
lower price.

I'm not saying that my approach is easy to implement but think is the
farest.