From:
kent stienburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 21:28:19 -0400
"J.D." wrote:

Hi J. D.

It's not uncommon for a package on foundation to raise  supercedure
cells.  The bees would get a false sense that the queen is failing
because of the lack of eggs.  This is because she doesn't have the space
yet.  You should have taken more time to see how much brood was there.
Decide what you want to do before you open the hive.  Don't over examine
them.  It's better to to 1 good inspection then 2 half effort ones.
With a package or a new queen I will wait 7-10 days before I check for
brood.  If I see eggs I put the hive back together right away, I've seen
that she has started to lay and I'm happy.  If you have been feeding or
there is a good flow on, the next inspection 7 days later, I want to see
eggs, brood and capped brood.  Roughly 4-6 frames.  The pattern should
be full with very few gaps.  It's very difficult for anyone to advise
you over the net about this but... Since I'm going to assume the queen
is healthy and young.  The bees have a false sense of queen failure..  I
would take down the queen cells.  Start keeping a record also!  When you
see pollen when you start to notice nectar, drones everything.  This
will help you later.  Good luck.

Kent Stienburg
Ontario Canada