Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 10:47:05 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2929 bytes) , IMG_4114.jpg (1 MB)
Hi All,

This accident was operator error but I wanted folks to know what occurred because I think it can happen to anyone using this device.  
I've been using a ProVap 110 successfully for two years without a problem until yesterday. I use it per the manufacturer's instructions with one exception:

>"This vaporizer is most easily used from the back of the hive, where a small (¼”) hole is drilled in the back center of the ¾” rim of the bottom board that supports the bottom brood box."

The exception is that, with my equipment, I couldn't drill the holes in the bottom board rim so I drilled them in the box below the rear hand hold.  It worked just fine until a frame inside one box managed to get aligned with the whole. That only leaves about 3/8 inch between the frame and the inside surface of the box where the hole is drilled.  When I inserted the discharge tube, which is about 1 1/2 inches long, it must have butted up against the frame's end bar leaving no room for the gases to exit. As a result, when I turned the ProVap over to sublimate the oxalic acid, the white Teflon lid that holds the oxalic acid exploded off the device spewing extremely hot gas and liquid OA everywhere.  I had a full face respirator which saved my face from severe burns (see the photo) but I learned something else about the respirator. 

First, when you wear eyeglasses like I do, a full face mask doesn't fit quite right and therefore this is what's recommended by the safety experts.  

> "If you wear contact lenses, you can wear a full-face mask or a half-face mask and chemical goggles. But for folks with traditional glasses, it has to be a full-face mask with the proper corrective glasses insert, since the arms of eyewear can get in the way of a proper fit on a half-face mask."

Well, in this incident, the air around my respirator was filled with gases and just like the safety experts said, some began to infiltrate around those eyeglass arms which prompted me to drop everything and run to safety where I could remove the respirator. Since I never had an incident before I didn't realize that the way I was wearing the facemask would allow that to happen. 

I've since taken two corrective actions. First, I installed a spacer on the discharge tube of the ProVap so it can't extend beyond the 3/4 thickness of the box, therefore, avoiding any frame obstructions inside when they happen to align with the hole.
Second, since my eyeglass arms are just thin wire, I'm now tightening the pull straps on the mask enough so that when I inhale I can feel a slight compression of the mask which indicates I have the needed vapor lock. Hope this helps.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2