From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 20:21:30 +0200
"I guess it's a matter of how much is too much.
For you, it seems any amount of artificial treatment is too much. Others are
not quite that adamant."

I guess the idea is to take managment desition based on an informed
discussion.

So how does fumagilin works?

First of all we need the żbees or the infected bees? to take the medication
for fumagilin to work.

If they do so, I understand the efect of fumagilin is on stopping
reproduction/multiplication of the spores, but it is not effective against
the latent spore.

Those stay in the infected bees till they defecate them. Or stay in the
hive, either in the bee poo, or in the pollen and honey stored by infected
bees.

As the spores end in the "feeding line" (by trofalaxia) we need to medicate
also the non-infected bees, to prevent the latent spores  activate.

For how long we need the bees to be medicated before the infecting load in
the hive dissapear?

The different forms of giving the Fumagilin in autum / spring syrup, plus
drenching/spraying, will mean different times/length/duration of medication.

In the drenching mode, it is a high impact treatment. We want that all bees
take their part of the medication. We assume that most of the colony
individual are infected because they are not taking the syrup.

In this mode we must clean the hive and replace the honey and pollen stored
or the colony will re infect.

When we give fumagilin in autum or spring modes, we have sample the yards,
and are giving medication because we see in the microscope spores.

How many? This is something in debate I believe. For Nosema apis we were
used to check against a threshold. If more than a given number of spores per
cubic centimetre of bee were count then treat. With Nosema ceranae it seem
we need to know the percentaje of bees infected. Who know how to do this!!!.

I'll prefer to treat if one spore is seen...

In spring we suppose there are a few "autum" reservs available in the hive,
so if we treat the winter bees left, for there on, the new reservs will be
clean, and the reproduction rate of the hive will surpass the development of
nosema. Some hives (genetic?) will not succeed. We feed "in incetive mode",
giving small amounts each week so as to promote the build up of the colony.

In autum we will take care, again after sampling, of the the infected hives
or the infected yard?. This time we do not want the colony to start
breeding, sso we give the medication on a one big dose. We make the
supposition that the bees will eat this medicated syrup.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.