Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:02:59 GMT
>>All you Long Islanders, could you tell me what your main honey
plants are down state? Just curious to see if it is similar to
upstate...

Here is what I've seen in north-western Suffolk County:

Spring:
skunk cabbage (in wetlands), willows, maples, wild crabapples, autumn
olive (major plant), black locust (major plant), tulip poplar

Summer:
catalpa, basswood/linden (major plant), sumacs (good producer), white
clover (good support producer until the lawns are cut before the
weekend!), purple loosestrife (increasing), Japanese knotweed
(increasing), golden raintree (local stands in some residential
areas), clethera (in wetland areas with good sun penetration), poison
ivy (where there's a lot)

Late Summer/Autumn:
goldenrod (major in few locations only), asters (major in few
locations)

Since most of Long Island is suburban now, there are also a bunch of
ornamental plants (and fruit plants) people grow to decorate their
properties that bees work but these are minor sources in my opinion.

I think the major plants upstate are the same as here.  The LI
season seems to be a couple of weeks longer at both ends.

Waldemar