From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:08:18 -0400
Some of us in our Association have thought about the demographics most likely to illegally sneak honey bees into the province and thereby bring Varroa, AFB, SHB, Wax Moths, etc. to our refugium. Would it be a commercial beekeeper who takes a big winter loss and faces bankruptcy because he can't meet his pollination contracts?  In my view the highest risk group is the "sociopath" (give 'em what ever label you want), shag-the-rules, shag-the-government, shag-other-beekeepers person who couldn't get a nuc, and then either had some packages sent in, or brought one or more colonies across Cabot Strait on the ferry.  We are terrified of this possibility which is why we have embarked upon the current information campaign.  We take some inspiration from beekeepers on the Isle of Man in the U.K, who are also Varroa free, but who are also extremely vigilant in protecting their pest-free status.