From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:29:01 +0000
Tim Channell wrote -

> I have been beekeeping for several years and recently had a bad attack of
> wax moths on my hives.  So I have one question: how do I get rid of the
> moths?  They have wiped out one of my hives and I fear they will take on
> the other soon.  Is it a lost cause?  Should I just start over with new
> bee swarms in the spring?  Want the moths attack this new colony also?

Don't know if you can get a similar product from your bee suppliers,
but in the UK a product called 'Certan' is available.  This is a
'biological' control based on a fungus called Bucillus Thuringiensis.
 The wm larvae eat the fungus and it kills them.  It is supposedly
harmless to bees and humans.

The product is diluted with water and
sprayed onto combs and hive parts.  The makers say that it is
suitable for use on occupied brood combs as long as brood is not
likely to be chilled.  I have used it and found it to be 100%
effective.

Joe Hemmens