From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 02:43:22 -0400
<<<<<
Most of us have read enough to know what a 'bee space' is, but I've NEVER
seen it referred to as a 'bee way'.  I suspect that lots of knowlegeable
beekeepers were wondering what you meant.  Maybe it's a difference of
terminology between the UK and the US.  ???>>>>>

I detect a strong note of censure in Michael Reddells'  letter.  Space or
way, we use either term.  From what followed in my letter it was clear that
way and space meant the same thing.  Here we use the term crown board  for
the american cover board.
I was not being sarcastic or unpleasant when I said "If only some people
would read a book".  I meant just that.  Most of the elementary requests
for help that appear on this list  are already answered in any good book on
bees.
Many people treat beekeeping too lightly.  It is not a simple hobby.    It
is a craft and a science and needs study.   In over sixty years of
beekeeping ( I started in 1930) I t have taught and trained a large number
of aspiring beekeepers.  I have also seen far too many people fall by the
wayside.  They visit a show, are fascinated by the observation hive and the
masses of honey.  They then rush out, buy bees and equipment and get
started.  Within two years it is all over.  Perhaps a severe stinging due
to inexperience, rows with the neighbours, little or no honey, inability to
prevent swarms and so on  Then bees and equipment go on the market or
worse, are left neglected.  All rather sad.  When we are approached by
someone wanting to start we advise caution.  We have an extensive library
so offer reading material, extend membership of a local association (we
have them all over the country) and depending on the time of the year, come
to monthly lectures or join a nearby friendly beekeeper for practical
experience in handling and inspecting. After that they are in a much better
position to judge whether beekeeping is for them or not.   I realise that
in the wide open spaces of America some beginners may be on their own.  I
still think it is unwise to go to all the expense of starting without
gaining a little practical experience and book knowledge first.