Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:28:06 -0500
My latest wintering chart update can be seen at
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2009/9l1.ht23.jpg

I chart the high/low temps, the trends, and the daily changes in scale weight (all smoothed) for four styrofoam hives on one pallet.
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2009/DSC03622.JPG shows the setup.

The major wiggles in the daily readings are related to events as noted on the chart, but the minor wiggles are likely partly due to operator error and changes in humidity and precipitation.  (I do brush the snow off before weighing).

There could be other reasons for the ups and downs, so I have not 'cooked' or averaged them out, beyond using the smoothing function in OpenOffice.org Calc to make a prettier-looking presentation.

The flat portions are typically periods where measuring was impractical due to falling snow, or whatever, and the data was averaged through as many as five days at one point for continuity.

If anyone else has similar observations, I'd sure love to see them.

The raw data can be had at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1605400/ScaleHiveWinterDec15.ods

BTW, if any have not discovered Dropbox or Evernote, I recommend Googling them and checking them out.