From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:56:44 GMT
RE David Fulton's query about a recent bug-------
This can only refer to the Varroa mite as all our other diseases and
infestations are ancient history.  Even the V. mite is hardly new as it has
been in almost the whole of Europe for the last ten to fifteen years.  It
was first found in southern England in 1992, spread rapidly and caused
havoc.  It is now endemic in half of the country and rapidly spreading
north.  We in the south are now recovering.  It can be controlled but there
is no future at present for feral stocks and the let-alone beekeeper.  Bees
now have to be managed.  I find it strange that people still ask, What is
Varroa?  as it has received so much publicity for years.

    Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England