Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:55:40 -0500

<Since the initial discovery, Nosema ceranae has been found  ubiquitously
anywhere beekeeping is
practiced. Unlike N. apis, there are NO KNOWN outward symptoms. --  Brenna
Traver and Richard Fell>

I'd take this to mean there are no outward signs such as spotty of the hive
 to indicate its presence.  That's not to say there are no effects.

Also, Bob says the 'sign' of bees not taking feed is more reliable than
spore counts.  From our experience, if bees go off feed, you've already  gone
too far.  That's a crisis mode.  Randy and  Bob drench to  get the bees to
consume medication.  The other option that I much prefer,  first try adding a
shot of Honey Bee Healthy.  We found that will get bees  that have gone off
feeding to consume syrup.  Note - I'm not saying  anything  about what HBH
does other than it clearly acts as a feeding  stimulant.

I don't spray packages with syrup when installing, don't drench.   Wetting
bees with syrup results in bee mortality.  Depending on weather,  that can
be slight to severe.  SO, I don't do it, period.

Jerry