From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:20:11 -0700
This message was edited due to excessive quotes of previous messages
---
Grant, in theory the vapours are corrosive to galvanized hardware
cloth , top covers, frame rests,  etc. The liquid phase definitely is.
I have left SBB on hives when using formic for 2 seasons ( 2 years
spring and fall) and cant say I have seen rot, maybe mine were
protected by propolis and wax,  but perhaps with longer use they may.
That all said, locally  we have a supplier who now uses stainless
hardware cloth (Brent Burley, Bee-Wise)Guelph, Ontario, Canada) . I am
not sure how much more it adds to the cost. Outside of any corrosion
by vapours, the screen does rust over time and so any new ones I  buy
will have stainless cloth.

About the solid BB - I use them under the SBB all season, placed
backwards so that the opening is at the back - then it is easy and
stingless to simply slide in a letter sized file folder to get a 24 hr
mite drop. No need to make it sticky to count every one - the number
is either above or below the threshold. But, a spray glue like is used
to lay up graphics and posters ( 3M makes one) can be sprayed on - it
remains tacky  to keep them where they drop.
For the winter I close that back facing slot with a reducer.

Over the season a lot of junk will collect on the solid board. Any new
boards I get will have no fixed front or back. I can then close up the
front during the summer, so bees don't get lost in btwn the board and
screen, but I can remove it and clean the board with a "pusher" - a
solid piece of metal attached in a "T" on a length of rod, to scrape
or push the debris through and out the other end. Then the ends can be
closed for the winter.  Until then I am removing and scraping!
Greg
Everton, ON Canada