Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 19:37:03 -0400
I copied a post on this subject to my beekeeping 'apprentice' Sarah
Holdsworth, who knows what she's talking about, plant-wise.  Here's her
response:

Chris

Little is known about the exact mechanisms of nectar secretion (like so
much
else in the living world).
Perhaps we could take a look at the bigger picture:
Root pressure and guttation are dependent on enough RAIN, and the
manufacture in the plant of sugars (nectar) being dependent on
respiration
which is dependent on enough SUN.
We have to presume that the plant excretes nectar in concentrations
that are
beneficial to the survival of its own species (as all organisms have a
will
to do). And because the amount of rain and sun varies each season, the
plants have to make the best of these vagaries.
Some years Hawthorn has a very good nectar flow, I believe this is so
when
there is plenty of rain in April; whereas other plants, such as Echium
vularge, Anchusa officinalis and Borage, seem to produce nectar in high
concentrations even in dry years. Some plants are just better adapted to
drought conditions than others (such as the Mediterranean plants like
Oreganum species), which is why it is important that each year there is
good variety of plants for bees to forage on.
Bees: Honeybees, Bumblebees and Solitary bees (hundreds of different
species) are the primary pollinators, but butterflies, hoverflies,
moths,
midges, wasps and more are also pollinators.

Sarah Holdsworth
Bee Happy Plants
organic grower of wild herbs, shrubs and trees
www.beehappyplants.co.uk