From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 09:27:06 -0600
I got some borax laundry additive two weeks ago.  I think my wife said
it was less than $5 for five pounds.  Well I mixed 1/1 syrup with
about 1/2 part borax.  Got a super saturate solution had some on the
bottom. Put some in a small pickle jar about 1/4 full.  Put some 16d
nail holes in the lid.  Set it on its side at about 30 deg. under the
hive. In a couple of hours it was killing ants.  They go in the jar
and never come out.  Bees can't get in so it seems to be O.K.
<etc.>
Looks great.

Several years ago I was looking all over for the correct ratio of
borax to sugar and (optionally) water.  I could never find the answer
-- and here it is on BEE-L!

The problem I have is this:

Is 1/2 part borax meant to say 50%?  Or some other amount?

Is this the ideal amount?  I understood that a much lower proportion
was adequate.  I think maybe the ratio for dusts was posted several
months ago, but I can't recall.

And, additionally, my understanding is that the borax based poisons
are meant to be taken back to the ant nest and do their damage there,
rather than to kill the ants that come across it in the field.

I know that a small  drop or two of the thick syrup made by the 'RAID'
people (it comes in a little in a dropper bottle) will eliminate a
whole nest of large ants.   I used it on carpenter ants in my mom's
cottage.

So, if anyone remembers the details of making up a dust or syrup bait
in greater detail than the quote above, could you please email me.

Gratefully yours,
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>