From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:35:04 -0400
[log in to unmask]  wrote:

> I love bees and I wouldn't sit back and let them
>die off, any more than I would keep my kids from going to see a doctor.

>in the case of bees, they have survived over 100 million years by
letting the susceptible die off, and the survivors breed.

Yes, well, I over-simplified for the sake of readers who prefer short
but sweet. Bees as a species are not in danger of demise. Of course!
it isn't worth the bother to prop up susceptible individuals and it's
harmful to the group in the long run. Replacing hives lost with
hardier stock is the best approach; we agree on this. But keeping the
bees you already have alive is also a priority. How can you be a
beekeeper without bees? Hmm.

* * *