From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:38:26 +0900
<snip>
>I am a new beekeeper... (in Turkey)
>And i use spraying water when ever i saw a swarm and it nearly all the
>times worked... I just trow up on the swarm some cup of water <snip>:)

I believe this works because bees cannot fly with wet wings and will cling
firmly to the cluster.  They can then be brushed or a branch detached from
the tree without the bees taking flight, particularly if they have already
selected an appropriate destination but not yet taken off.  An all-over
spray with a garden sprayer loaded with rain water had this result in a
demonstration I saw and made lifting the swarm down from overhead appear
very easy.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island