From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:03:28 -0600
>   Allen, you are in Canada. What do you know about the Ontario Bee
> Breeders? Medhat Nasser set up a program for TM resistant stock while at
> Guelph. I was at a meeting in Beekmantown, NY in April, where he gave a
> talk. Several of the breeders were there, and claimed good results.

Funny you mention that.  I was just talking to Medhat on the phone a few
moments ago.  He's in Alberta now as our Provincial Apiculturalist and
working hard for IPM and stock improvement.

The Ontario project has had great results.  Medhat brought in Primorsky
Russian stock from the US, too, so Ontario breeders have both, and interbred
them to evaluate the result.

The original Ontario stock, itself, has great tracheal resistance, and
hygienic properties, but has average susceptibility to varroa.  The mix with
Russians has intermediate properties.

Some Ontario breeders have a very good reputation.  Barrie Davies and Paul
Monteux (and others) have a very good Buckfast program and sell
Abbey-approved Buckfast stock into the northern US as well as supplying
discerning customers in Ontario.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/default.htm