From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 09:16:21 -0500
> I know our researchers have almost quit
> looking at chemical solutions. They even looked at all the oils and such.
The best minds of > > the beekeeping world have worked on the problem  both
in Europe
> and the U.S. and now all that's left is IPM and Russian queens.   Many of
my
> friends think I am obsessed with finding a cure for varroa and if they saw

> the problem as I do they would see the urgency. Many researchers believe
the
> varroa problem will work itself out like the tracheal mite problem did but

> many commercial beekeepers will go under with that senario while waiting.
> Sincerely,
> Bob Harrison

It is possible that we will have to wait for a total collapse of beekeeping
and then do a "reset" from mite free stock. The only problem is hoping that
mite free stock will exist by the time this happens.

Parasites that kill off their hosts as fast as Varroa (3 years?) normally do
not last very long. We have helped them by moving them to new ground every
few months. There is some thought that most extinctions can be viewed based
on the mobility of the host/predator and the time it takes the
predator/parasite to kill.

If an area can be left "bee free" for three to four years then
reintroduction of clean stock may be possible. This may be a problem in the
southern United States due to the introduction of the AHB which is more
tolerant of Varroa. We may also be limited if the Small Hive Beetle can
continue without Bees.