From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 17:19:21 -0600
?Hello All,
There are tens of thousands of people on both sides of the neonic issue. I
get tired of the lame excuse those people with a different viewpoint *that
some on this list simply do not understand the issue.*
There are people on *both sides* of the issue smarter than myself and those
involved in the current discussion.

The point I made which have not been answered is not rocket science but will
repeat as not yet addressed :
Like the article says:
Systemic MAN MADE Nicotine in a lab  (which are not made public due to
privacy concerns) will not wash off fruit and produce. Science does not
dispute the FACT that the neonics are found in the produce and the fruit.

The first noenic temik was pulled from use on orange because of the amount
found in the oranges & orange juice. Imidacloprid use is suppose to stop I
believe two months before harvest (yet over the counter Bayer IMID found at
Wal-Mart says you can use year around) on orange trees. I do not need to
tell
you the reason for the early stop date do I?

I sprayed my last organophosphate 77 days before I harvested the first
apple. We had 31 rain days this year during the 77 day period. ( my 2010
records) The apples were all brush washed before sale.

Concerning the current debate I quote the current super bowl add with Dr.
Phil:
"Stop peeing on my leg and telling me its raining!

You can do absolutely nothing to lower the levels of the neonics in fruit &
produce unlike surface sprays.
I have raised and sold fruit for 13 years in my prior location and 19 years
in my present location. Brian Ames. has not been on the list in a while has
similar experience and would agree *in my opinion*.

I also do not *Blast* the whole orchard but *spot spray * the trees (with a
forklift mounted tank sprayer).
I am a smaller operation than Brian and I would guess Brian blasts the whole
orchard as the large groves do. I am not a fan of blasting the whole orchard
as everything is sprayed and access to people denied for a set length of
time. I do understand why the large orchards use the method but spot spray
works for me as I only need a percentage of sellable fruit.

I  am concerned with losing the sprays I use now. I have a holding yard next
to the orchard and have never had a bee kill. I harvest fish out of the acre
pond I pump water to the orchard.

I have been researching the systemics for awhile now. I have in my opinion
legitimate concerns but see some uses OK.

I have a small Bonsai operation which I am expanding in conjunction with a
supplier in Florida and I USE a sytemic pesticide Merit on the non flowering
Bonsai trees and love the results.

I am not an expert in the orchard business but I will put my first hand
knowledge level a bit
higher than those in the current discussion.

bob