From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:11:03 -0400
Rip wonders if this is another 'SWAG'. Since I do not know what a SWAG is, I
cannot answer.
 My diagnosis as SHB was based on descriptions available from Cornell, Penn
State, Florida, etc. Looked exactly like the pictures and descriptions
(nothing at all similar to wax moth).
 Rip also commented on SHB being an aggregation breeder and said they "feed
largely on
the yeasts, etc. associated with fermentation, hence all the "slop and
slime".
 Gee, that seems different than what I just read. Last month's ABJ (I think
?) said the slime is a defensive measure and commented that once the
'trigger' is pulled (I recall the article said investigators are not sure
how that takes place) a single female can lay hundreds of eggs a day.
 Rip also suggests that high moisture (humidity?) is required to trigger
reproduction. If the key is high humidity, we certainly have that near
Albany NY while we are collecting pollen. I have never wanted to invest in a
meter, but I usually lose 10-15% of total pollen weight between what is
collected and what I have after it is 'dried', which seems like a whole lot
to me (as I sell it by the pound).
 Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear