From:
George W Imirie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:36:37 EDT
Allan:  I have been told that I am blunt or even rude.  It is NOT my intent to
hurt, but rather to excite people to pay attention and THINK.

In 1998, the Varroa mite is as widely spread as flies or mosquitoes.  There is
NO SUCH choice as "to treat or not treat"!  If you want to save your bays, you
MUST treat, perhaps only once a year in northern temperate zones and maybe
even three times per year in southern temperate zones.
I test for varroa mites in March and July and treat if necessary, but I surely
don't bother to test in the fall.  I TREAT always from October 1st to November
20th.
My location is in Maryland near Washington, DC.
After 65 years of beekeeping, treating for Varroa is another treatment, BUT
NOT OPTIONAL NOW.  It is kind of like tying your shoes.
Good Luck!                                                                                      George Imirie