From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:50:56 -0400
Bob Darrel wrote:

>>>My understanding of oxalic acid is that it cannot penetrate the cells to
kill mites there.<<<<

For a long time I didn't think anything did. Recently I read somewhere that
Formic acid kills mites in the capped cells. Did I dream that?

treatment in Nov or early Dec(weather permitting) when packing hives for
winter.<<<

This is really helpful information. This is only the second time I learned
this. My track record (of learning) says that I need 1 more time. I treated
in Nov with O/A. I wouldn't recommend it in the cold. When I took hives
apart, I found that the powder sublimated in a very limited area.

Then I came to where Bill Truesdale wrote:

>>>In most cases treatments are done well after the supers are taken off,
not before, since most are fall treatments and are isolated to deeps, where
the bees and brood are.<<<<

The trouble I see here is that it presumes the season is over in July
sometime. For some this may be true but commercial beekeepers aren't letting
their bees sit idle. Having the equipment, they move to where there is a
flow. In Aug. New England is rife with goldenrod. (I was hoping for a crop
that didn't appear).

So: A dilemma. Treat in Aug. and make winter bees. Don't treat in Aug.
because you have honey supers on. What do you suppose happens?

Dick Marron